ACTIVITY FOR YOU TO DO IN SCHOOL ABOUT BULLYING PREVENTION
Tell the class that you are starting a unit to prevent bullying. Explain that the goal of this unit is to stop bullying in the classroom, hallway and school bus etc. You will learn in this lesson the steps that can prevent bullying.
Ask the class to define a bully. You can use one of their definitions or this one: Someone who hurts or intimidates other people.
Give examples for each category. Physical: spitting, tripping, pushing, shoving, hitting and destroying another’s things; Social: gossiping, spreading rumours, ethnic or racial slurs, excluding, humiliating; Verbal: name-calling, teasing, mocking, verbal threats of aggression; Intimidation: graffiti.
Ask your teacher if they will help you divide the people in your class into groups of three to six people. Ask the groups to discuss “Why Children Bully?”, also ask the question “Who do Bullies most often pick on” which is the truest? Ask reporters to share the group’s results.
Review what a bully is and tell the class they will learn effective ways to deal with bullying in this unit.
WHY DO PEOPLE BULLY?
1. To gain power
2. To get attention or become popular
3. To get material things
4. To act out problems at home
5. To copy another person they admire
WHO IS THE BULLY?
1. A person who doesn’t care if bad things happen to other people
2. A person who doesn’t feel bad when they hurt others
3. A person who likes to be in charge and always gets their way
4. A person who believes they deserve to get bullied
5. A person who is bullied at home by their parents, brothers or sisters
WAYS PEOPLE BULLY
1. Physical aggression
2. Social alienation
3. Verbal aggression
WHO DO BULLIES PICK ON?
1. Children who are smaller
2. Children who don’t have that many friends
3. Children who don’t stick up for themselves or get help from an adult
4. Children will pick on anybody if they think they can get away with it
WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO PEOPLE WHO GET BULLIED?
1. Feel scared, alone and sad
2. Don’t like school
3. Don’t feel good about themselves
4. Get headaches